Sign in to follow this  
Boom

Boom's New Video Card

I'm in the marker to replace my Galaxy GTX 580.  This is what I am looking at linked below.  Before I purchase I want input from others.  I know you guys know your shit.  Thoughts???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142

Thats the best your gonna get. It will beat the fury in some areas but thats what makes it a tad more expensive..

This is a better bang for the buck versus the 980ti. The differences are almost hair splitting and both cards will last about the same over the years.

For me the R9 FuryX is the better buy but the 980ti will do just as well if not better. All depends if your a stingy fuck like me or if your the type that doesnt give a fuck on budget :)

• Upvote 1

Now wait wait wait, do you really want to dish out 500+$ ?! Everyone in the clan knows I'm a big MSI supporter soooo

or

for 330$ you can have the R9 390 8gb 512-bit GGDR5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874&cm_re=msi_r9_390-_-14-127-874-_-Product

I like MSI and those deals are pretty good in my opinion.

I'm in the marker to replace my Galaxy GTX 580.  This is what I am looking at linked below.  Before I purchase I want input from others.  I know you guys know your shit.  Thoughts???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142

This is Really good card i would personally recommend it. i know its expensive as compared to AMD cards but trust me nvidia is way better then AMD. "Don't go with AMD Unless you wanna run into problems later in the future.

get that 980ti, its a beast of a card

also read reviews before u start saying what card is better or not, the card that DownForLife showed was not the FuryX they will not have custom cards come out, AMD has a lock down like nvidia has with Titan series, also the 980ti still cleans up on all the reviews if seen of both cards, [plus the HBM memory doesnt support overclocking the card much, 980ti, very close to 1.5ghz on air

also NVdia cards with have FULL!!!!!!!! DX12 support, meaning dx12.1 is what nvidia cards are rated at, amds current architecture only support minimal support of dx12

fury review to see how it stacks up against the 980ti

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_review,15.html

sorry for the scatter brain bs, was high as fuck when writing this lolol

You guys are awesome.  I appreciate all opinions.  Duff, yours was the one I was looking forward to reading, I know you are a video card expert.  From everything I read, and people I spoke to it seems pretty unanimous that the nvidia cards are far superiour to the AMD cards.  My rig is Intel, I have always avoided AMD.  I'm leaning towards making the 980 purchase.  

You guys are awesome!  thanks for taking the time to respond!!!

• Upvote 1

I have owned Nvidia and AMD cards and in my experience, Nvidias drivers are better but there hardware designs are some what lacking for heat disapation. AMD drivers I never had a problem with and there cards have out lasted the pnes I have bought from Nvidia. To be frank, I dont see Nvidia as being superior nor do I see AMD a better choice. As a certified Technician, I see more hardware than most do in there life time and with all due respect AMD and Nvidia leave alot to be desired in certain areas. I only buy when I think my card is ready for retirement due to no longer giving 45-60fps across the board on my games. In my steam profile you will see I own an ASS ton of games so I need a card capable of playing most of them in ultra. I do support Nvidia and AMD respectively as niether one is perfect. When I hear that one is better than the other, I chalk that up to marketing and nothing more. I overclock, repair and build at least 1-5 computers daily. God only knows how much money worth of tech Ive had my hands on working at Fry's Electronics service center.

Bottom line: Nvidia and AMD make great cards and neither is superior. Every cycle one camp steals back the crown. Dont be foolish and feel one is better than the other.

Hey certified technician... you spelled "there" wrong in that context.  It's their.   /clap

I'm a professional tech too, build all my own rigs, seen it all.  Better was a poor choice of words.  But in my professional experience I have always avoided AMD as they do make a cheaper product.  I rather spend the money and have more reliable gear.  Hence my Intel processor, my water cooling and soon my nvidia video card.  

Thanks for the reply.  You type angry!   /tehe

Iv been playing around with graphics cards for awhile, I love reading how the architecture works, interesting thing is that the nvidia cards are still using gddr5 for Vram an amd is using hbm also known as 3d memory, this uses less powerful chips an stacking them to make up for performance, the bandwidth of this chips are massive but u have to have a good architecture to fully support this memory an from what iv seen amd is loosing this race, nvidia is still on the same process node that amd is on, 28nm an nvidia have much better luck with performance per watt then what amd is having with their cards, the 980ti still uses 250watt tdp but the chip it's self is around the same size than amds an still uses gddr5, has less heat output vs amd r9 furyx 300watt tdp, I though hbm was meant to reduce power...? Lol

• Upvote 1